Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (Bavarian Motor Works), commonly known as BMW is a German automobile, motorcycle and engine manufacturing company founded in 1916.
BMW was established as a business entity following a restructuring of the Rapp Motorenwerke aircraft manufacturing firm in 1917. After the end of World War I in 1918, BMW was forced to cease aircraft-engine production by the terms of the Versailles Armistice Treaty. The company consequently shifted to motorcycle production in 1923, once the restrictions of the treaty started to be lifted, followed by automobiles in 1928–29. The first car which BMW successfully produced and the car which launched BMW on the road to automobile production was the Dixi, it was based on the Austin 7 and licensed from the Austin Motor Company in Birmingham, England.
The official BMW dealer, on the island, is Muscats Motors Ltd. who is located in Rue D'Argens, Gzira. Muscats Motors has been representing BMW Group since 1996.
BMW announced its first motorcycle, the R 32, in 1923. Until then the company had only supplied engines rather than complete vehicles. The basic concept of the original BMW Motorrad model – a boxer engine with longitudinally positioned cylinders and shaft drive – is so sound, that it continues to be employed in the company’s motorcycles to this day.
The first BMW vehicle to take to the road after 1945 was the R 24 motorcycle, introduced in March 1948; it was a developed version of the pre-war R 23 model. Shortages of materials and machinery delayed series production until December 1948, but the sales success of the R 24 then exceeded all expectations, and 9,144 were sold in 1949 alone.
The official BMW Motorrad impoter, on the island, is Muscats Motors Ltd. who is located in Rue D'Argens, Gzira. Muscats Motors has been representing BMW Group since 1996.
Land Rover is a brand of the British car manufacturer Jaguar Land Rover, which specialises in four-wheel-drive vehicles. The Land Rover name was originally used by the Rover Company for one specific vehicle model, named simply the Land Rover, launched by Rover in 1948.
The design for the original Land Rover vehicle was started in 1947 by Maurice Wilks, chief designer at the Rover Company, on his farm in Newborough, Anglesey. It is said that he was inspired by an American World War II Jeep that he used one summer at his holiday home in Wales. The first Land Rover prototype, later nicknamed 'Centre Steer', was built on a Jeep chassis and axles.
Over the following years it developed into a marque encompassing a range of four-wheel-drive models, including the Defender, Discovery, Freelander, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Range Rover Evoque.
The official Land Rover importer, on the island, is Muscats Motors Ltd. who is located in Rue D'Argens, Gzira. Muscats Motors has been representing Land Rover since 1950’s.
In 2000, after the sale of the Rover Group, the modernised Oxford car factory, which has been used since 2001 to build the MINI, remained in BMW’s possession as did the new engine production plant in Hams Hall and the new press shop in Swindon . Initial production forecasts of 100,000 units per annum doubled to more than 230,000 units produced in 2007 owing to high global demand.
First unveiled as a concept car in 1997, the new MINI is launched by the BMW Group in 2001 – the first premium vehicle in the small-car segment. The advanced design combined with the athletic, cheeky character expressed the lifestyle of an entire generation. The MINI Hatch made a start in 2001 – the MINI family had grown to seven model versions, with the MINI Convertible, MINI Paceman, MINI Clubman, MINI Countryman, MINI Coupé and MINI Roadster.
The official MINI dealer, on the island, is Muscats Motors Ltd. who is located in Rue D'Argens, Gzira. Muscats Motors has been representing BMW Group since 1996.